Joy to the World Card

Friday, December 17, 2010
Click HERE if you are looking for the Fantabulous Cricut "Deck the Halls" Crawl post.

I decided to give myself the day off and spent a large portion of the day crafting.  I had heard of a few challenges and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them. 
Angi, from Cokie Pop Paper Boutique, is a member of the Papercraft Star Design Team and created a beautiful card using the photo below as inspiration.  (See Angi's card HERE.) I am always so impressed with the way Angi reuses items on her craft projects and decided to do the same myself.  (The gold foil I used is actually from a gift bag.)  As soon as I saw the photo, I was immediately taken by the window and knew that I had to have a window like that on my card as well.   I also followed the same colour scheme.

I designed the window using George and Basic Shapes and Destinations.  I cut the window three times.  I hand cut a piece of transparency to size and ran it through my Cuttlebug using a snowflake folder.  I had never embossed transparency before, but was thrilled with the result.  The transparency is between the bottom two layers of the window.  I also hand cut a piece of white and green patterned paper to go behind the window (although it looks just white in the photo).  The window is popped from the shadow.  Here is a photo taken to show you the patterned paper as best I could:
I then cut a piece of darker patterned paper as a shadow for the window.  I just used George and Basic Shapes to design the shadow.  The card mat was hand cut from green cardstock and run through my Cuttlebug using the same snowflake folder that I had used for the transparency.  I computer generated the sentiment and matted it with the darker patterned paper and some gold foil paper with snowflake patterns (originally a gift bag).

The challenge at Bitten by the Bug 2 this week is to use the wreath from Joys of the Season.  I cut the wreath two times and ran the top layer through my Cuttlebug using Swiss Dots.  I also cut some extra leaves using the layer feature and ran those through my Cuttlebug using a small butterfly folder (but simply put the leaves in the centre for small dots to be embossed).  I inked all portions of the wreath and assembled it by staggering the layers.  Earlier, I had made a number of tags (using Very Merry Tags) and kept the red tag holes to be used for berries.  I also added Glossy Accents to the berries.  The wreath is popped and I used a piece of the gold foil to make it look like it is hanging from the window frame. I finished things off with some red pearls on the tag and window base.
Voting has begun at Papercraft Star.  You can vote for my card HERE until Monday night.
My card is #13.  Thanks so much!

Challenges:
Serenity Scrappers - Christmas project
Papercraft Star - Photo inspiration
Bitten by the Bug 2 - Wreath from Joys of the Season
Creative Inspirations - Anything goes Christmas
ABC Challenge Blog - J is for jewels

24 comments

Georgiana said...

Your card is beautiful. The window is wonderful. I am looking forward to my 2 weeks off to create some new cards.

Happy Holidays,
Georgiana

Kim Duran said...

Wow, Kate! You really outdid yourself! This card has all the details that make it so pretty! From the window transparency to the embossing, and even the glossy accents on the berries....just gorgeous! Thanks for entering this card and for playing along with us at Papercraft Star!

Linda Kaiser said...

This card is so amazing! You are mega talented. I love the embossing and all the extra touches! Thanks so much for all your nice comments on my blog. Your encouragement means so much. Hope you are having a great holiday season and I can't wait to see more of your projects in the coming year.

Linda

Tracy said...

This is such a great card! I love how you made the window. It looks fabulous. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Papercraft Star!

Sabrina said...

The window and the wreath are absolutely beautiful and a stroke of genius. I love it!

Angi Barrs said...

Wow Kate....your card is STUNNING! I love all of the beautiful details. That wreath is beautiful. I'm sooooooooooooo glad you can play with us at Papercraft Star this week. We have loads of fun over there. :)

Tracey said...

Kate, your card is so pretty with so much detail. I love the embossed transparency......it really does look like the wreath is hanging over the window. I love to recycle too!

Kel said...

CONGRATULATIONS..You won the secret santa prize over at SerenityScrappers.blogspot.com!! Please send me the address you want it sent to asap so I can get it to you for under your tree. Its a great great prize, but I don't want to spoil it, so let us know when after you open it so I can share a pic! Achildinmind@aol.com

Leanne said...

Oooh this is gorgeous!!

This would be a fabulous entry into the Top Tip Tuesday Christmas Inspired challenge this week - you can enter as many times as you like!

Hope to see you there! Leanne xx

♥Jan♥ said...

A gorgeous window and a 3D wreath too - very inspiring ! We are so glad you joined us this holiday week at Papercraft Star !

Besthobbyeva said...

Kate, this is card is beautiful. You did an amazing job and to recyle the berries, brilliant! I loved the layered look of the wreath and the transparency. Just fantastic!!! Thanks for joining SS's challenge and congrats on the win!!!!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

So pretty! love the beautiful wreath!

MiamiKel said...

WOW, Kate! This is really beautiful! Such dimension to your card and it looks so much like the photo inspiration! Truly a wonderful to see all the detail and you have a really creative side to you - this is fabulous! Have a great weekend! x0x0

April said...

I love your card. The window is really nice. You did a great job!

**Treefrog** said...

Oh wow Kate this is Amazing! Isn't is so neat to emboss transparencies or acrylic!? It's just so exciting seeing the end result! This is a absoluutely lovely window card and thank you so much for joining us this week at BBTB2.
((Hugs)) Theresa

Karen Pinsonat said...

This card is so beautiful, and you did an amazing job on that window!

Rhonda Emery said...

oh my god. I got your beautiful gift today. and It came at such a good time. It has cheered me up more than I can tell you. you are the sweetest and so thoughtful. love and hugs. have a very merry christmas.

GiuliaG. said...

wow, what a creative project. Thanks so much for playing along at BBTB2

Tara said...

I love that window feature very cool!
Tara

Unknown said...

fab card!!! very creative!!

jaine drake said...

Beautiful card and thanks for the link. Thanks for joining the challenge at creative inspirations.

Rizwan said...

I love the embossing and all the extra touches! its stunning efforts thanks.

plastic card printing

Deb said...

Gorgeous wreath and I love your layout, thanks so much for sharing your wonderful creation with us at Creative Inspirations, Have a Happy New Year
Debs
xxx

sucor said...

Wow, what a gorgeous card! Awesome detailing!

Former Design Team Member at My Craft Spot (2011-2015)
My Craft Spot


Powered by Blogger.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

>