Birthday Card - and an award times three

Thursday, December 2, 2010
I made this card for my husband, who recently celebrated his birthday.  When he opened it, he and the boys thought the image was a potato!!  Fortunately, my daughter recognized it as a dog.
I got the idea to use this dog with a cowboy hat from a card on the Cricut message board, created by Shelly at Shelly's Card Blog.  (I'm sorry I don't have a direct link to the card, but I couldn't find it there.)  I used Doodlecharms for the dog and Paper Doll Dress Up for the hat.  I simply cut the frame and rounded the corners with a Creative Memories corner rounder.  I positioned the frame on an angle which was a bit difficult for me as I'm all about balance and symmetry, but I really do like the look. The background paper and top layer of the mat were embossed with a Spots and Dots Cuttlebug folder.  The little frame for the sentiment was cut from Winter Frolic and the little border was punched with an EK Success border punch.  The circle was cut with George and Basic Shapes and the sentiment is one I picked up in a Michaels' $1.50 bin.  I added some twine and beads, as well as a little dog brad from my stash.  I did a lot of inking on this card - and tried to make the pup look like he was scruffy and in need of a shave.  I also added some metallic gold pen dots.  (They almost look white in the photo.) 
I'm also thrilled to have been awarded the Stylish Blogger Award from three wonderful blogging friends!  I feel so honoured and blessed to have been chosen by so many!  It's been a crazy couple of weeks as I finish up the school term with papers and presentations - so I'm especially delighted to have had a bright spot in the midst of my stress!!  (The good news is that I've just one presentation left to go this semester.  Woo hoo!!)  The Stylish Blogger Award was passed to me from:  Tara at Homemade Happiness, Sharon at Ladybug Designs, and Carol at Carol's Sweet Creations.  Part of the requirements of this blog award are to pass along 8 bits of information about myself:
1. I do not like snow (and my part of the world is currently covered in the white stuff!!)
2. I used to be very, very shy and still am a bit
3. I am quite patient and self-controlled - except when it comes to chocolate!!
4. When I was growing up, I always said that I would marry a man named Raoul.  My husband's name is an English derivative of Raoul. 
5. I always said I wanted two boys and a girl - and that's just what I've got.  I feel blessed with the "perfect" family
6. When I was a child, I made up a special name for my mother and still call her that name to this day.  I never call her "mum"!
7. My favourite flower is the daffodil
8.  I am a creature of habit and thrive on routine

I am now to pass this along to new blogging friends.  I am going to pass this along to all the members of the Fantabulous Design Team where there are a number of new members who are quickly becoming blog friends.

Also - don't miss the Fantabulous Cricut Blog Crawl coming up on December 13.  There will be lots of great projects to see and prizes to be won!

19 comments

shelly said...

hi kate :) ya know that dog head DOES resemble a potato! lol way cute card and thanks for the credit i appreciate that :) you know i love all your work and now that im getting back into the swing of things cant wait to see more :) have a super day :) shelly

Rhonda Emery said...

love your potatoe head dog ha hes really cute .

Saundra said...

Kate, I love your little doggie! He is so cute.

~Saundra :)

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

LOL, That is too funny. I always ask my girls what do you think this is, and if they can guess correct then I'm good with it!
Came out super cute!

Georgiana said...

I think your card is perfect and I knew immediately it was a dog.

Georgiana

sucor said...

Cute card! I love the embossing and all the details!

Jenny B said...

Maybe the dog's name could be potato? or Tator? just an idea...very very cute!

Tracey said...

Hey kate, Love all the little details on your card. I saw a dog straight away,but after reading "potato" I saw that too.LOL

Besthobbyeva said...

Kate, so darn cute. Of course a girl would know what is was. I speak from experience I live with three males!! I love the off centering and never think to do it. Thanks for the idea. I am always making sure things are lined up. I love how you made him looks scruff! Awesome job!!

Angi Barrs said...

Sooooo adorable. Love his little hat. :)

Carol L said...

lol! What a cute card! Congrats on the awards girl ;0). Have a blessed day!
Hugs, Carol L

April said...

MEN! What do they know? I knew right off this was a dog AND so how cute!!!! Love this card.

MiamiKel said...

Oh he is as cute as can be! I'm LOLing at your dh's impression of the potato, lol - this is toooo cute for words! xoxo

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

LOL, I had to look really really hard to see a potato, I saw a dog right away!! I think that card is super cute. I love the distressing and the spots and dots embossing. I hope your husband had a wonderful birthday!!

LOVED reading your 8 things and learning more about you.

Linda Kaiser said...

Your card is so adorable. I always struggle with cards for my DH. I will be scrap-lifting this one:)

Thanks for the great idea!

Linda

Valerie said...

You dog is very cute, I bet your hubby just loved it!!

Maria Elena said...

Hi Kate ! Your "potato dog" card is so cute !!! xoxoxox as always you do - great job

And say Happy B-day to your husband ;-)
http://www.mariaelenaworld.blogspot.com/

Janis Lewis said...

I was googling Cricut Western / Cowboy looking for ideas for a birthday card and found this. I LOVE IT!! I just pinned it to my Pinterest board. I'm going to make this one and link back to this post as the inspiration. THANKS!! :) Janis

Frenie said...

I love it !! That was very cute birthday greeting card. Perfect simple gift that you can give to someone special o your life. Well done !! Anyway, thank you for the inspiration :)

Former Design Team Member at My Craft Spot (2011-2015)
My Craft Spot


Powered by Blogger.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

>