Fish Thanks Card

Wednesday, June 16, 2010
I was trying to decide if I had enough time to create a special card for my youngest son's swim teacher but decided I would just grab something from my stash.  However, when I learned that this week's challenge at Bitten by the Bug 2 was to create something with a fish (preferably from Camp Out), I just knew it was "a sign" to make a special card for Brittney.
I made the card base by welding (of all things) the chocolate chip cookie from Sesame Street Friends to a rounded corner square from George and Basic Shapes.  I also welded the "thank you" shadow from Alphalicious to the card base.  I cut an extra "cookie" to attach to the base for a complete look on the front.  I then used bubbled patterned paper and cut it a bit smaller than the base.  In Design Studio, I created a frame for the font to be smaller than the cardbase but larger than the patterned paper.  The inner (cut out) circle was smaller than the patterned paper.  I cut this frame with the cardsock that I had used for the base, and ran it through my Cuttlebug to give it the look of pool tiles.  I also coloured a few of the "tiles" in with a purple glitter gel pen.

The fish was cut using Sesame Street Friends.  I cut a couple of layers from a shiny cardstock and then cut the top layer using some fanastic shiny paper that I've had for ages.  (I had no purpose when I bought it, but knew it would be great for something one day!)  I cut the "thank you" from the same cardstock used for the bottom layers of the fish, and then did a bit of doodling on the letters.  I added a black rhinestone for the fish's eye and used my Inkssentials Glossy Accents to create a few more bubbles for the fish.  I also added a frame and mat on the inside of the card.  I tied a coordinating bow to the outside and asked Peter to write a thank you inside.

I'm submitting this card at Bitten by the Bug 2's fish challenge.  After all, they inspired me to make it!!  Thanks BBTB2!  Peter was thrilled with the card to give his swim teacher.

24 comments

Nicole Wright Designs said...

Really cute, I love it!

Carole Beath said...

What a cute cute card.... and I am so happy that we inspired you to make the card AND join our BBTB2 challenge.
Carole

DonnaMundinger said...

OMG Kate! Precious! Love the embossing and the fish is ADORABLE!!!!! WooHoo! I just got Sesame Street Friends. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 xxD

**Treefrog** said...

No Kate, Thank You for sharing such a great card and Of course the teacher loved it, who wouldn't, I sure do! You knocked this one out of the water! LOL Great colors and love the embossing. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 this week.
((Hugs)) Theresa

Jeri said...

Fabulous card, so much texture and dimension. Wow, welding the chocolate chip cookie, great thinking. Thanks so much for sharing your card with us at BBTB2.

Turnedgypsy said...

I love this card. I have only been papercrafting for just a few months and have not tried anything like that.

http://turnedgypsy.blogspot.com

Valerie said...

Darling card for a swim teacher!! We just started swim lessons, now you have given me another reason to craft;)

Jenny B said...

Adorable! You are sooo creative!

GiuliaG. said...

Wow..so much detail. I love this. You did a terrific job. His swim teacher is going to love it.

Kel said...

Insane card! I love it.. The swim teacher will absolutely love it!! Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely adorable!!!!

Besthobbyeva said...

Absolutely awesome!!! I just love it!! Great, great work!!!

Sammye Jo said...

Adorable card girl. Also, I really enjoyed reading your comments on my blog. The blog world is so awesome. It connects people in ways I never thought possible. You are so kind and I really appreciate your support!!!!! XOXO-SJ

Myra said...

Very cute!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Hi Kate! So Adorable! Love that you used a cookie cut! I love the colors of the fish, so cute!

MiamiKel said...

How absolutely adorable!! This is the cutest fishie card I have ever seen - marvelously done! I hope you win the challenge - this is just darling! ::: standing ovation! :::

Sandi said...

Oh this is just adorable, colors are FAB, and love the detail embossing you have done. Thanks so much for doing the BBTB2 Challenge. Sandi

Anonymous said...

Really Cute! You always make great cards!

Jeannie Phillips said...

I love your fish cut...I love your layout and your paper choices...this is a great job.
Thank you for joining us at bbtb2!
hugs
Jeannie

Wendy Ramlakhan said...

OK, I feel like I don't even deserve my Cricut because the things that you make with your's are so AMAZING!!! You are really talented girl!!! I'd love to sit and have you show me what you do!! (It'd give me an excuse to visit Canada!!) ;)

A Little Time said...

This is just incredible!! Your welding job is spectacular and I love the idea of using a fish on a thank you card for your child's swim teacher. We'll be using this idea for sure! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2.

Penny Light/Light Whimsy said...

Oh this is just adorable, colors are FAB, and love the detail embossing you have done. You are just such a great inspiration for me!

Regina Easter said...

fantastic card and congrats on being the POTW....hugs

~JulieH~ said...

Oh your card is so creative! that fish is so cute and I love how you made the frame in DS and the embossing is just perfect for this look just like a mosaic frame! Congrats on winning at BBTB2
Juliexx

Former Design Team Member at My Craft Spot (2011-2015)
My Craft Spot


Powered by Blogger.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

>